Get yours today! No need to wait, you can exchange your current license plate for a Share the Road license plate at any time! All proceeds from the sale of these licenses plates go directly to help our mission of Building Partnerships, Educating Iowans, and Helping to Establish Safe and Enjoyable Bicycle Transportation and Recreation Networks throughout Iowa. Approximately 1,200 Iowans have already purchased this rolling billboard to promote and fund bicycle safety in Iowa.
Sport utility vehicles
Trailers and travel trailersRETURN TO FEATURES
Plates (including personalized plates) may be purchased as a gift. Gift certificates will be mailed to the purchaser.
Numbered plates must be ordered through your county treasurer’s office.
- $60 initial fee ($25 plate fee + $35 for the Iowa Bicycle Coalition)
- $15 annual registration fee ($5 registration fee + $10 for the Iowa Bicycle Coalition) at time of renewal
- Annual registration renewal fee
Personalized license plates may consist of up to five characters and numbers. All personalized plate choices must have at least two characters.
- No punctuation marks are allowed.
- No denoting a government agency (i.e., DOT).
- No display of characters that are sexual in connotation.
- No characters suggesting profane, obscene or inflammatory words or phrases, or those contrary to public policy.
- No characters or words defined in dictionaries as a term of vulgarity, contempt, prejudice, hostility, insult, or racial or ethnic degradation.
- No characters considered to be offensive.
- No characters that conflict with the regular license numbering system.
- Recognized as a swear word.
- Reference to an illegal substance or criminal act.
- Any foreign word falling in any of these categories.
- No duplicate combination of characters.
- No zeros.
How to apply
Order online (You will need an Iowa Driver’s license or ID and a credit card to complete the transaction.)
Complete the Special Plate Application form, print and mail with the fees that are due.Completed applications may be returned to your county treasurer’s officeor the following address.Office of Vehicle & Motor Carrier Services
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9278
Des Moines, Iowa 50306-9278Telephone:
Your plates will be sent to your county treasurer’s office and staff will notify you when your plates are available. Plates must be assigned to a vehicle within 90 days or the plates will be voided and no refund issued. Your current plates must be exchanged for your new plates.
What the Share The Road Plate Supports
Since 2008, the Iowa DOT has sponsored a Share The Road license plate. 100% of the additional revenue for the Share The Road license plate supports the mission of the Iowa Bicycle Coalition. The plate has raised nearly $100,000 for bicycle advocacy in Iowa.